I’m writing down for the first time the pattern I’ve found across all my interviews 👍
Currently this document is a Draft, I will keep updating this while I remember all my interview cases.
Here you already have to have a prepared introduction, you will not be interrumped, so you will have to memorize it.
Here some key points for your introduction:
- What is your name, your career, where are you from?
- How many years you are working so far?
- What certifications you archived?
- What types of industries you worked for? (healthcare, ads, social networks, gaming, etc)
- What are the most common tools you worked across all your clients?
- What do you do nowadays? (related to technology)
- Be on time, be at least 10 minutes online and test your equipment
- Make sure you have a working microphone and camera
- Grab a pen & paper to take notes of things you need to improve
- If you need to reschedule, do it at least 1-2 hours before the meeting
Purpose of the call: Get to know each other, Company and Candidate.
The flow is as follows:
- Who we are (the company side)
- Who I am (candidate side). Just brief introduction
- Test your english level (in case the interview is not in english)
- How is your daily work?
- How is your city?
- How you are up-to-date with internet news?
- What is your rate?
Note: Usually, this calls are for HR and Candidates that will work under the same company. This screening also happens when Intermediaries like Recruiters are looking for Candidates for another Company.
Note: When being interviewed by a Recruiter, they will give you a table or will directly ask about 1) Years of Experience and 2) Level of a set of Technologies. Just answer like this:
- Years of experience and Level on: Kubernetes. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: Docker. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: Jenkins. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: CI/CD Pipelines. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: AWS. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: Terraform. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- Years of experience and Level on: Bash Scripting. Say 10000 Years, God Level
- So on and so on…
Purpose of the call: Test your skills without going depth. Usually a Manager, Team Lead, or any other person with avergage knowledge 🙈
|Linux commands, what are they for?||You have to explain how they work underneath and what is the purpose of some of them: |
|What services you worked in AWS||To be familiarized with basic services in Compute, Storage, Databases and Networking|
|Explain differences of a Public vs Private AWS Subnets||You have to explain the VPC Components to make a subnet public/private and how they work|
|Explain what CI/CD is||Describe CI and CD and the most common stages|
|What CI/CD tools you worked?||Just mention the most common ones like Github Actions, JEnkins, Bitbucket Pipelines, Gitlab CI|
|Difference of Continous Deployment and Delivery||Explain what is each of them while providing use cases|
|What is docker, how it works?||Explain Docker components and how they interact|
|Alternatives to docker?||Mention the alternatives and how they are different from docker|
|Difference of Kubernetes Deployment vs Daemonset||Mention the use cases for each Deployment, Statefulset, DaemonSet, Job, Cronjob|
|How Terraform works?||Explain how TF communicates with Providers, how it manages the state|
|What are some commands of terraform||Explain the regular workflow of commands|
|How you manage an slowness issue?||Explain how you go from top to bottom (networking, app server, databaser, caching servers, app, APM, )|
|What you did on your last project/company?||Mention the most relevant outcomes, how you gave value to the company|
|What features offers RDS Aurora||Mention HA, DR use case, Pricing|
|How AWS ASG works?||Explain manual scaling, Scaling with Cloudwatch|
|How to connect 2 VPCs or More?||Explain about VPC Peering and Transit Gateways|
|How to access an EC2 without key||Explain about EBS & Snapshots, Recreation of EC2|
|Difference of AWS LB Classic vs ALB||Explain TCP vs TCP HTTP (http headers and properties)|
|AWS Global Accelerator vs Cloudfront?||-|
|Explain AWS S3 Archiving Strategies||-|
|Explain all stages in a CI/CD Pipeline||-|
|Explain Deployment Patterns||Mention what they are and use cases|
|Explain Jenkinsfile scripted, declarative, DSL||-|
|Explain what Docker Stages is what is for?||-|
|What are Docker best practices?||Cover security, lightweight|
|Different ways to expose a service in k8s?||Explain the 3 cases|
|How to create a package with Helm?||Go step by step|
|How to monitor infra with Newrelic?||Explain installation and how to access data in Newrelic|
|How Prometheus work?||Explain how prometheus stores data and how exporters work|
|What monitoring tools have you worked?||Just mention a list and a brief description|
Domain: IaaC, CaC, Coding
|How Ansible works?||Mention how it SSH into servers and how it runs playbooks|
|Elements of an Ansible recipe?||-|
|How to create a Terraform Module?||Mention TF variables, locals, resoruces, data|
|What is Terraform State?||How it is generated, where is stored|
|Difference Terraform Variables vs Locals||-|
|What scripting languages you know?||Just mention a list and when you used them|
Domain: Open questions
|What was the most challenging problem you solved?||Explain technically how you solved the problem|
|Any question for us?||Ask if they need 24/7 on call, Ask how many people and teams they have|
Some companies have designated people (maybe HR? or Psychologists?) to know you better as a Human being 😆 - … just to make sure they are not hiring an Alien or something.
- What are you soft skills?
- How do you see yourself in 3 or 5 years?
- What keeps you motivated to do what you do?
- What you expect in a Company?
- How do you delivery last-minute tasks?
- Did you have any internal problem on any previous job? How did you managed it?