- EC2 instances backed with EBS can easily recovered by restarting into a different hypervisor InstanceStore in the other hand if the instance fails, the machine and data is lost.
- Supports user data if a script execution is needed after the machine is boot.
- ** clustered placement group (one AZ) and spread placement group (multiple AZs).
- Nitro and XEN are the underlying hypervisors for AWS EC2
- on-demand: hourly paid.
- predicatable usage.
- Up-front payments with a contract (Standard, Convertible, Scheduled RIs)
- from 1 to 3 years terms. The most time the most cheaper
- cannot be moved between regions
- low prices
- flexible start and end times by biding a price
- if the instance is terminated by aws the partial hour of usage is not charged, if you terminate the instance yourself you will be charged for the complete hour
- dedicated: regulary stuff, no multitenant virt. Paid in hourly basis and also as a ReservedInstance
Types of EC2
- field programmable gate array (F1): financial, big data
- high speed storage (I3): nosql dbs, data warehousing
- graphics intensive (G3): video encoding, 3d streaming
- high disk throughput (H1): mapreduce-based workloads, HDFS or MAPR-FS
- lowest cost, general purpose (T2): web servers
- dense storage (D2): fileservers, hadoop
- memory optimized (R4, X1): mem intensive. SAP HANA
- general purpose (M5): app services
- compute optimized (C5): cpu intensive
- graphics general purpose GPU (P3): ML, Bitcoin mining
- system status checks: Hypervisor issues
- instance status checks: OS issues or config, network issues
IAM roles into EC2 instances
- An IAM role can be attached to a EC2 on the fly.
- AWS Creds are injected in the instance and automatically rotated
- For the
awscli it is needed to specify the
--region $REGION when accessing to a different bucket region from the origin.
- Requires a load balancer in place
- Requires a lunch configuration: Like when we create a EC2 (ami, network, vpc, sg, etc).
- Provides redundancy on multiple AZs (multiple subnets).
- Autoscale policies setup based on Alarms tresholds. Increase and Decrease rules.
- Notifications on autoscaling group attaches or removes instances.